Criteria will be the same as for a British Passport Renewal. See requirements under “British Passport Renewal”.
A British passport renewal application must be submitted in the event of marriage, divorce, civil partnership or other reasons if you want to do a name change in your passport. Your existing current British passport will be cancelled with immediate effect and will be replaced with a new British passport in the new name. Up to a maximum of 9 months will be added to your new passport if there is any time left on your old passport.
One of the following will be needed to prove your name change:
- Original full long version marriage certificate*
- Original civil partnership certificate.
- When reverting back to a previous name, an official certified letter from you will be needed declaring your name change and proof of the same.
- Original deed poll notification.
Minor changes or corrections to your name (eg. adding to or order of first and middle names, spelling changes) can be made.
*Explanation of certificates:
- Full long version marriage certificate – records the previous marital status of the bride and groom.
NOTE: HER MAJESTY’s PASSPORT OFFICE only accepts original versions as supporting documents or replacement documents (birth, adoption, marriage, death, divorce decrees). NO photocopies or laminated documents will be accepted. Documents that aren’t in English – including documents showing an address – must be fully translated by a professional translator.